Connect with us


Pennsylvania Family Missing In Fire That Followed Gunfight That Wounded Two Officers



Upper Darby Police Department
Between six and eight family members may have been trapped inside a Pennsylvania home that burned following a gunfight that wounded two police officers Wednesday, officials said.
Police from multiple department initially responded to a report that an 11-year-old girl had been shot on Lewis Avenue in East Lansdowne, west of Philadelphia, at around 3:47 p.m.
Two arriving officers, one from East Lansdowne Police and one from Lansdowne Police, were each shot once by someone inside the home, and returned fire. Responding officers from the Upper Darby Police Department used ballistic shields for cover to drag the wounded officers to safety.
It was because of the Upper Darby Police Department who also responded to that call that these officers are alive today, Delaware County District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer said at a press conference Wednesday night. They were dragged out of danger by Upper Darby police officers.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt said his officers transported one of the injured officers in a patrol car to Penn Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia. The second injured officer was transported by ambulance to Penn Presbyterian.
Our uniformed patrol responded and saw two officers and they advised our officers that they had been shot, Bernhardt said. Our officers, numerous officers, responded, got ballistic shields and were able to go onto that street, drag those officers out.
Both officers were listed in stable condition.
The fire broke out as the gunman continued firing, and officials believe the fire was intentionally set by someone inside. Firefighters were unable to battle the blaze as the gunman continued firing on first responders.
Police officers and the fire department who were out there, there was still shots coming out at the beginning of this fire scene, Stollsteimer said.
The shots eventually stopped, and the fire was mostly extinguished by 6 p.m., the the property continued smoldering into the night, hampering search efforts for those believed to still be inside.
We’re not going to make entry into that house until we know that the fire is under control and that it’s safe for those officers to go in there, Stollsteimer said.
At a later press conference, Stollsteimer confirmed between six and eight people live in the home, including children, and they remained unaccounted for.
I will say with a heavy heart that we are afraid there might be more than one person in that house. We know that victim’s family had a lot of people living in that house, including children, Stollsteimer said.
“Were aware that there are at least six to eight people who are unaccounted for from that family. It is our terrible fear that they may have been inside that house when it was burned, Stollsteimer said. “It is just a burnt-out hollow at this point, so theres going to be a lot of work ahead of us.”
Authorities did not identify the possible victims, or the injured officers.
TMX contributed to this article.