Connect with us


Kansas Zoo Says Beloved Ostrich Karen Died After Swallowing Staff Member’s Keys



Topeka Zoo
The Topeka Zoo in Kansas said its vibrant and beloved ostrich Karen died after swallowing the keys of a staff member.
The zoo said in a statement Friday that Karen reached beyond her exhibit fence to grab the keys of a staff member and immediately swallowed them. The zoo said staff consulted with experts across the country seeking surgical and non-surgical solutions to help her, but their efforts were unsuccessful.
The zoo called the incident a solemn reminder of the importance of vigilance and care in maintaining the safety of our animal inhabitants.
We are devastated by the loss of Karen, Fawn Moser, Interim Director of the Topeka Zoo, said in a statement. She was not just an animal; she was a beloved member of our community. Our thoughts are with our dedicated animal care team, who formed deep bonds with Karen during her time with us.
The zoo said it has conducted an investigation into the circumstances that led to Karen’s death, and is taking appropriate actions regarding the team member involved. The zoo said it is also strengthening safety protocols.
Karen was well-loved by the community, who got to know her after the opening of the Giraffe & Friends exhibit in March 2023. She was known for her water loving habits, like swimming in the pool, playing in the sprinkler, and, best of all, being our ‘dancing queen!’”
Zoo guests and staff alike formed deep connections with her, captivated by her playful antics, the zoo said. The Topeka Zoo extends its deepest gratitude to the community for their outpouring of support during this difficult time.
TMX contributed to this article.